D23 Lava Hot Springs to Pine Bar Camp

(My dinner)

Mileage: 69

Video: https://www.relive.cc/view/vevWQJxVYG6

Map: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/92524761?privacy_code=OIkeBP7OfTrQKvpq

Accommodations: USFS Campground

The wind has died down. The birds are singing and I just had the loveliest time with Kim and Debbie my neighbors. This is a very small campground with only 6 spots and no potable water. Kim and Debbie invited me for dinner. Actually, they’d already eaten, but they made a fire so I could roast hot dogs. I had homemade potato salad on top of that. So, so good. Some people exude generosity and they do.

(So cute!)

I dawdled this morning in the lovely camper. I had a cup of coffee in the morning for the first time in a while so I could sit and enjoy the quaintness. But soon it was time to go. I hit the road shortly before 8:00. I had pleasant backroads including some gravel. The wind was at my back most of the day. The temps were cool. Life was good.

(The road way from my cute camper)

By 10:30 or so I’d made Soda Springs for a grocery top off and brunch. Outside of Soda Springs I saw HUGE tailings from gypsum mines. They seemed to go on forever. Slowly the road climbed into hills and open range. I was on a busier road now. The scenery was great, but after a morning of no cars, cars and trucks were jarring. The drivers were nice though. I contrast to the agriculture of the Snake River Basin, these seemed to be tourists on their way to Jackson or Yellowstone. Farmers don't usually drive Audis. 

(Note the excavator at the top to gauge size)

My big chance was whether to take the Henry Cutoff (unsurfaced) Road that Ride With GPS recommended. I saw from the heat maps that others had ridden it and took the right turn. I was immediately rewarded. The road is in excellent condition and the scenery to die for. Maybe that's why I saw a bunch of second homes / vacation homes on the road. They ended when the Caribou National Forest begin. I had a tough climb to a passbut was rewarded with great views. I thought about camping at the pass, it was early and the only water was a snow bank! 

(The magical Henry Cutoff Road)

Then it was done into another valley and another gravel road shortcut. Ride With GPS I trusted you! Once again I was led into a literal cow path. I decided to hike it since it was only a mile back to Idaho 34, the busy road I'd followed earlier. Even the cow path ended and ended in a fence. Yes, I could have tossed by bike over, but it was probably quicker to backtrack which I did. I also thought about camping there, but it was mosquito heaven and the only water was a stagnant pond surrounded by cow pies. 

(The Road Really Less Travelled) 

The backtrack was as it should have been because a short ride brought me to Kim and Debbie. Now I am sitting in my chair watching the sunset, drinking the last of Mike's brandy that he gave me in Seattle and writing this blog. Just as I am finishing up a beaver swam by and started slapping the water with its tail which I am pretty sure is beaver for leave the area so I did. It was an Angry Beaver (in joke for North Seattle people).

(Sorry, Mike, your brandy didn't make it back to it's birthplace)

(The Angry Beaver - not a hockey bar in Seattle)

P.S. I am in Hoback Junction now, but had such a good time with my Warmshowers hosts that I didn't have time for a post. I'll try to do one tomorrow.


Comments

  1. The miles are passing! Glad to see you’re in WY. I am familiar with Hobart Junction. The start of the beautiful Jackson Hole area. Continuing to really enjoy your travel posts and photos. Keep soaking everything in, TJ. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Country Bike Ride Reboot

Seattle to Lead

D13 Omaha to Iowa