D13 Omaha to Iowa


RJ called me over. He asked if I wanted to run the flattener. I did woodworking. It's just a big router. He explained how to work the joystick that moved the cutter head and how to lower it by moving the crank a half turn. Slowly the high spots in the 8 foot hardwood slab got smoothed out. Megan, the yard owner, came over occasionally to check the thickness. 

I didn't start out seeking to operate heavy machinery. The day began at Chris's place. I had a simple breakfast with him. He had to work so I thought it best to get out of his hair. I left shortly before 8:00 am to officially get to Iowa and the UPS store where I hoped to get a more reasonable quote for shipping my bike than through their website. 


After I left it took all of 10 minutes to reach Iowa on the Bob Kerry pedestrian bridge. On the other side was a statue that seemed like a giant Giacometti made of tinfoil. I don't ponder because I was on a mission. I was going to UPS in person because it's harder for people to say no when you're standing in front of them. It was a quick mile or two on a bike path past an early morning band practice led by a kid in plaid PJs on a ladder. 


At the UPS store it took about 2 minutes to dash my hopes. The guy behind the counter knew shipping bikes and knew it would be $350. Wow! Cycling is expensive. Resigned I took a looping path back to Omaha. I hung out at a coffee shop that doubles as a church, but the very groovy, progressive kind. I needed to kill time before I could check into my Airbnb. I pondered how many Uber troops it would take to run all my errands. At 11 I discovered a cool used bookstore. I asked the owner for Nebraska author and lunch recommendations. I got both (Ron Hansen and the Kitchen Counter). 


At the Kitchen Counter I took advantage of a wide selection of veggie options. I waited and ran into the bookstore owner again. He was talking to RJ. Bookstore owner left with a bag of lunch. I invited RJ to dine with me. We had a pleasant conversation. He's a big cyclist too. At the end of the meal he asked if I needed anything. And he was serious. I said a little transportation would help. He said, "Sure, but I need to do something before I can take you to get your bike and u-haul boxes". We went outside. RJ is a commercial realtor. I presumed we were off to meet with a client or look at a property so imagine my surprise when we parked at a small lumber yard and announced we were here.

RJ and his friend Tim (?), a retired surgeon, were helping out around the lumber yard. It is owned by Megan, who makes lumber out of trees removed by arborists in the Omaha area. She has nice big slabs of wood. I still couldn't figure out what RJ and Tim were doing here. I eventually learned that Megan had to step into the family business unexpectedly. RJ had sold the building to Megan's family a while back. He and Tim were helping the short handed Megan during the transition. 

I wasn't quite sure of the arraignment, but a couple of other people were there working on projects. I think Megan let's them use her tools. One had a very cute and hard working 4 year old who almost single handedly cleared debris trough drain, a long trench that collects water and sawdust.

After the lumberyard adventure, we got my boxes and RJ dropped me at the Airbnb. I told him to look me up if he's ever in Seattle. What a gift. I am very grateful for the practical help and experience RJ gave me. I was reminded again that Robin Wall Kimmerer, Braiding Sweetgrass author, said gifts invite relationships. So many people have given me their time, attention, and kindness on this trip. When you receive kindness you want to return it and this the world is made better. This was a good to trip.

Comments

  1. yay, beautiful final reflection, thank you for sharing these posts, good luck, have a safe trip back, and look forward to seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a rewarding experience for you TJ! I look forward to hearing your stories of the adventure over the Fall and Winter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Country Bike Ride Reboot

Seattle to Lead