Cross Country Bike Ride Reboot


I am waiting for United 2499 to board and restarting the blog I started here a year and a half ago. Why? Because I am heading back out on the road! I'll be picking up where I left off in Crawford, Nebraska and heading east. I'll only be out for two and a half weeks. I am testing the waters. Do I still have the heart for touring? Given my excitement I believe I do. The blog was a joy last time so I'm rebooting it for this trip. I don't know if anyone will read it, but I like throwing my words into the wind.  

(I saved this box from 2022 just for this)

Today I fly to Rapid City. From there I will catch a shuttle to Lead, SD where I will take my bike out of the travel box and enjoy the historic hotel I found. The next day I’ll ride south on the Mickelson Trail. It’s a popular ride and I expect to see fellow cyclists. I’ll enjoy the companionship. The Mickelson is a rail trail passing through the Black Hills. The area is a popular tourist destination. I’ll be one of them. What you lose in ‘authenticity’ you make up for in the convenience of travelling in a place full of businesses catering to your needs (if you can pay). 

If all goes well, I’ll finish the trail the second day and keep going south. The trail ends in Edgemont, SD less than a day's ride from Crawford, NE. Unlike last year’s ride, I am planning this trip more loosely. I have Warmshowers host lined up in Chadron. From there I'm not sure which way I'll go. There are a couple options. I'll decide on the go. 

I am much more relaxed about accomodations. I plan to camp as much as I can, but if the weather sucks, I’ll try to find a hotel. Maybe I was getting to this relaxed place on last year's trip or maybe it is having a year to ponder. Maybe it is facing only a couple of weeks instead of months. Whatever it is, I am enjoyed the run up to this trip way more than the last one. I am looking forward to logging my impressions for the wind and whomever finds this blog again.

Folks liked the ride map videos so here's my last conditioning ride.

Around Seattle 2

Cheers!

Comments

  1. Wonderful to see you back on the adventure, TJ! Enjoy the beautiful Black Hills. You will love the Needles, hopefully see buffalo, see the progress on the Crazy Horse Monument, and take in the all the pine smells. Have a fabulous first day and just soak it in! Have fun! 😎

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great TJ thanks so much and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seattle to Lead

D13 Omaha to Iowa