Omaha to NYC Day 42: The End!




The last day! I woke before Kisho, did Wordle and Connections in bed like it was a normal day, then dressed and snuck down the long, red hallway to the MKT Hilton lobby. I had my new book, but decided I should get up to speed on the horrible story out of Cornell. We'd be there soon and it was time to rejoin the greater world after inhabiting the smaller world of the corridor you inhabit on a long bike trip. I didn't want the pleasant reverie to end, but you have to grow up some time. 

(Vaguely creepy hallway of the MKT Hilton Mt Kisco)

Kisho joined me for breakfast. We debated whether to ride the shorter, hilly, and traffic-y route or backtracking the longer, flatter, and less busy route. Actually, I mostly debated myself. We chose the latter and were off just after 8:00. We were heading away from the commute direction and when I saw the traffic flowing the other way, I was really glad we'd chosen this route. We'd have been on a narrow, curvy road with an endless stream of BMWs and Audis if we'd have gone the short way. 

(Croton Reservoir in the morning)

It didn't take that long to reach the Empire State Trail. Soon we were making fast miles on the gradual downhill. I didn't take many pictures because the scenery while pretty was the same as it had been for days, a green and yellow tunnel of trees in a smooth trail. 

(Typical scenery)

We grabbed some snacks in Elmford. I was amazed at how well the trail hid the increasing development we were going through. Elmford was a full on, working class suburb. Bars and Gatorade from the 7-11 obtained, we quickly got back to the trail. The weather was getting warm after days of cool fall weather. I was sweating again. 

Shortly after 11:00 I was hungry even after eating a bar. It was time for lunch. We were in Yonkers, almost New York City! We decided to eat, but not bother to try to find a good place, just a place. We found a Wingstop and … um … stopped. Despite a vow not to eat French fries again, I had French fries, a chicken sandwich, and some unnaturally blue Powerade. Refueled, we went back to the trail.

(Kisho at Wingstop)

Not long after, we came across a small group circling a NY State Parks Department ATV. In the back was a golden retriever lying on its side unmoving. I really hoped it wasn't dead, but it was hard to tell. I rode a bit further then stopped to ask a woman with three dogs if she knew what had happened. She said the dog was alive, but had been overcome by heat while jogging with its owner. The Parks people were going to take the dog to a vet. Let's hope it ended well for the poor canine. 

On a happier note, we reached the New York City limits a few minutes after witnessing the dog distress. We memorialized the occasion then moved on through Van Cortlandt Park. 

(NYC!)

Emerging on the south side of the park, we had another road section. I discovered Manhattan University is really in the Bronx. We encountered our first elevated train. We were now truly in the city. It wasn't long before was were crossing the Broadway Lift Bridge into Manhattan! I made sure to memorialize that too with a selfie. A couple of side streets later and we were on the trail running along the west side of Manhattan. 

(Manhattan!)

A headwind blew up the Hudson from Lower Manhattan. Once again, it felt like New York didn't want me to leave. We passed the Billings Arcade which I didn't take a picture of, but wished I did and an unnamed set of columns that I did. We also stopped under the George Washington Bridge. A friendly New Yorker told us the story of The Little Red Lighthouse. We lingered to enjoy the sights, but knew Jesse and Lize were waiting for us. We hopped back on the bikes and continued south. 

(The Little Red Lighthouse)

Manhattan unfolded and became Manhattan as we rode. Gleaming new glass apartments mixed with older brick apartments next to the elevated roadway we were biking under. The bluff of upper Manhattan gradually disappeared. At 54th Street we turned into the city.

(It's looking Manhattan-y)

Suddenly, the whole tone of the riding changed. Days of bucolic trail riding became a wild New York City scramble even with the new-ish bike lanes. Kisho came into his own, using his mountain biking honed bike handling skills to good use. More than once I found myself seeing him zoom ahead, once cutting between some construction workers blocking the bike lane. We turned South on 7th Ave and rode to Bleecker, then zig-zaggec to Cheystie and finally onto the Manhattan Bridge. So close! A highlight was biking through Times Square.

(Kisho in Times Square)

On the Brooklyn side we faced a short but confusing section on rough roads down to Pebble Beach in DUMBO. Suddenly, we were there without fuss or fanfare. We high five, hugged then called Jesse and Lize. They arrived not five minutes later, the tire was dipped and the trip was done.

(Trail's End)





Comments

  1. Congratulations, TJ!!! I'm really happy for you. What an experience to see so many nooks and crannies of the country. Thanks for chronicling it all here for us to enjoy the journey from afar. ~~Jay

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the Journey

Omaha to NYC Day 17

Omaha to NYC Day 18