Omaha to NYC Day 38
Animated map: https://www.relive.com/view/vdvm7Xk9kN6
Today combined mellow and extreme. The ride today was only 30 miles, but the chance of rain was 90%. Kisho is retiring to New York City with me. It was going to be comforting to have anyone to distract from The Wet. Also helping was a lighter load. I had less gear because we'll be staying indoors each of the three nights. This night we'd be staying with Jesse's former wife, Sarah, who kindly offered to put us up.
We had a slow morning of pastries at the new(-ish) bakery right in Kisho and Abby’s building. I would have a hard time if I had a basket literally downstairs. I had a ham and cheese croissant and an apple pie Danish because my metabolism can now do that. After baked goods we hung out with Zoey while Abby started her work week. The rain held off in the morning so we decided to wait until it began at 11:00 to start. :-)
Kisho knows this area well, including the bike route. He led the way out. After saying a sad goodbye to Zoey and Abby we were off cycling over the Hudson River and through the streets of Rensselaer. Soon enough we reached the bike trail where we could put traffic out of our minds.
By 11:45 I was already hungry again. I found us a pizza place with mediocre pie and a broken point of sale system. We'd spend 45 minutes getting to a place that was one block from Zoey's vet's. Kisho has biked out here to get Zoey's meds, but basically, we are spending all day doing what would be a small errand in a car. Sometimes biking feels like a weird thing to do.
Once back on the bikes, the trail got down to the business of becoming rural. We had just 22 miles to Sarah’s. I snapped a couple of pictures, but mainly we rode. You get cold when you stop on a rainy day. When we got to the Village of Valarie, we had to get in the road. Sarah’s house is outside the village proper. We had just shy of half an hour on a busy road with no shoulder, but the drivers gave us room. Thanks drivers. I was relieved when we got to the side road to Sarah's although it has a hill.
We made it to Sarah's at 3:00pm. When she got home we cooked dinner, made ice cream, talked, and watched Widow’s Bay. All in all, a cozy evening.
Comments
Post a Comment