Omaha to NYC Day 36: Short ride to Albany
Animated map: https://www.relive.com/view/vDqgAK8prGO
After a night of sound quiet sleep punctuated by careful trips down the ladder for bio breaks, I finally woke to gray skies. It wasn't a day to hurry. I didn't hurry. I lingered in bed. The Nor’easter pounding the coast wasn't hitting the Albany area hard. I might get a few sprinkles, but that was it. I only had 30 miles to do. I could time the ride to avoid the worst rain.
I made breakfast on the little porch, had some coffee, and wrote a blog entry. I didn't hit the road until 9:30. A lazy morning for me on the road. I passed the Welcome TJ sign Dan had set out the day before, but missed the house Kurt Vonnegut had lived in that was on the same street. I looked but didn't see the red house that was described to me. I also missed, via ignorance, the Vonnegut house in Iowa City.
It was a quick couple of road miles back to the trail. The trail here becomes leafy and suburban. Many runners and walkers were out even on this gray morning. I passed a GE building. Schenectady is a bit of a company town. I passed a lab started by Admiral Rickover to study nuclear propulsion. I took a picture and am probably now on a watch list.
The trail descended from the bluff to the banks of the Mohawk. I passed a mysterious stone marker with “S 9” engraved on it. I asked my friend Mike who's the expert on things historical. He thinks it's a mile marker, meaning nine miles to Schenectady. The real mile marker told me it was 19 miles to Albany!
Just a few miles beyond, I happened upon a labyrinth. Walking a labyrinth was the perfect cap to my last solo ride of the trip. I parked the bike and slowly walked in, then out. The route promoted patience by bringing you close to the center then moving you away. With rain approaching, I was tempted to walk straight out, but for once I slowed down and did the proper thing and walked the route back out. Kisho rode this way last summer and saw the labyrinth under construction.
Done, it was back to more forested trails and sleepy Saturday morning roads. I loaded a gnome home then was suddenly on the Hudson! The Empire State Trail split north and south. I snapped a photo, sent it to Abby and Kisho then moved on. The area became a mix of older housing and commercial areas. I passed Troy and really felt I was getting close. The trail passed along the freeway then got woody close to Albany. I caught a glimpse of the Corning Building then suddenly I was at Kisho and Abby’s. I'd made it to family. I felt almost like the trip was over. I was able to let my hair down (although it's sticking up in the photo). I'm not detailing of the bike time, but a wonderful time was had by all.
Comments
Post a Comment