Just a quick note to stay I'm safely in Ilion, NY right next door to Herkimer for you Phinney Ridge coffee people. It was a long, beautiful, and uneventful day.
The day of departure approacheth. I'm riding the green line. I've already done the orange. I am finding it harder and harder to concentrate. Unlike all my previous trips I have no anxiety. Just excitement. All my jitters are excited anticipation. Maybe that'll hit later. I dunno. The trip starts just east of the magical 98th meridian (yellow line above). Roughly 80% of the US population lives east of this line. Interestingly, the ecological divide between the West and East was at the 100th meridian based on annual precipitation, but thanks to climate change it's been moving east and is now also the 98th meridian. Will that mean people will find life increasingly hard in the new west? I dunno. What is clear is that I'll be headed into more densely populated areas. And flatter areas. Some friends wonder what's the point. If you can have the Rockies, why bike the Loess Hills? Well, why not? I love the West, but I love the small towns, rivers, and lush landscapes ...
Static map: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/411321695?privacy_code=yiKqVvrfi7tHxLpJFCWI7Y08Uoe5r5x1 Animated map: https://www.relive.com/view/vmqXGXAxgo6 Finally, a campsite with water I could jump in! The Indiana Dunes. When I got there after a long and varied day of riding I just wanted to run down to the water’s edge and plunge in, but I restrained myself and got changed into my swimming suit first. (Sunrise as I say goodbye to Chicago) The day began with an early start at 6:00, first light. Today was the day I was saying goodbye to Chicago after a four day stay. I was leaving early because I had a pleasant surprise. Due to a fortuitous Facebook post, another old friend from Knox learned I was it town. She had been living in New York City, but has recently moved back to her hometown of Chicago. We arranged to meet at a bakery in The Loop. I wanted to be there by 8:30 so we would have plenty of time to chat. It’s 22 miles from Asif’s house to The Godd...
Static map: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/411583619?privacy_code=5ioPlXtTUxn0FkPB7HBMnNKhVtL0gtz4 Animated map: https://www.relive.com/view/vYvEd5WkzGq The day started leisurely. A bug free morning made for a slow oatmeal and instant coffee breakfast. I used PlantNet to ID two flowers at the campsite. Both invasive. Despite being in a national park, I was not in a pristine environment. After a look at the empty beach, I heading out quickly passing through Michigan City which is interestingly in Indiana. I noted the Amish pie stand on the way into town and wondered if Amish is a style or an origin. (Amish pie stand) After Michigan City, the route follows a sleepy road packed with expensive second homes for rich Chicagoians. Every open lot was being developed. I passed many people out for morning walks. At Michiania I crossed from Indiana into Michigan and the Eastern Time Zone, which I didn’t anticipate. I’d be an hour later arriving at camp than I’d thought...
Comments
Post a Comment