Omaha to NYC Day 32: Nice fall day
Animated map: https://www.relive.com/view/v7O9z5LWRL6
I found my people. Compared to anyplace else along this trip, there are a ton of cyclists. Doing the Erie Canal is a thing. It’s beautiful, flat, and there are plenty of options to spend the night. I am sitting at Community Coffee and Cafe in Lyon. It’s 9:23 am. My tent is drying on the railing in from of the cafe after a dry, but dewy night. The folks here are super friendly, living up to the community in the name.
I had a long dinner with Doug, Tom, and Jack, fellow cyclists I met along the way. Doug is 79 and did 86 miles yesterday. He is staying in hotels because he’s not a camper. Ted and Jake are from Albany and heading west to Buffalo. They camped at the Newark Locks with me.
The day began in Brockport after a dew-free night. I thought briefly about cooking my own breakfast, but with a coffee shop only a 100 yards from the tent and a crisp morning, I opted for warmth. Charlie and Audrey were still sleeping, I texted them my plan. I found a sunny spot in the window, ate, and wrote the last blog entry. Charlie and Audrey appeared right as I was finishing up. Great timing! We chatted some more, took a selfie, then they headed out. I still had to break camp.
I didn’t get on the road until nearly 10:30, a very late start for me. I only had 50 something miles today. I was looking forward to a more leisurely pedal after the fun, but taxing, Race for the Bathroom Key. The clouds had blown over and it was a nearly perfect day for riding. I said nearly because the headwinds persist.
I set off down the trail listening to the crunch of my wheel and watching the ribbon of canal unfold ahead of me. By 11:00 I was in Spencerport. Charlie and Audrey were stopping here for a detour to look at a house Charlie has lived in as a child. Were they still here? I didn't see them, but did get to see a lift bridge open. I also saw a coffee shop and you know I can't load those up. Spencerport seems more wealthy than Brockport. I wonder if it's a commuting community for Rochester.
East of Spencerport I passed several big houses seeming to confirm my thoughts. It was another hour plus into Rochester. I pondered going into downtown but opted not to. I'd chatted with Rochester(er?) in Brockport who said there isn't much there there. And it would have added six miles. Lazy.
As I was pondering and talking with a cyclist on a bridge, who should pedal up but Charlie and Audrey! If gotten in front of them! We had lunch in the park where the Genesee River meets the canal. We saw a guy tooling around on an electric hydrofoil and a small motorized barge with a port-a-potty. Wonders all.
After lunch we rode off together. Charlie and Audrey peeled off to visit the trailside REI. I continued on the very well appointed trail on the east side of town. I passed several inviting coffee and ice cream shops and cute stores. I resisted, but the effect was relaxing. Further on the towns of Macedon and Palmyra were not as toney as the closer in towns. The new, current version of the canal dating to 1918 parts from the older canal east of Rochester. The closing of the old canal hit some towns hard. Was that last of the story? Palmyra was Joseph Smith’s boyhood home. I keep bumping into LDS history on this trip. They certainly fund a lot of memorials so maybe that's it.
From Palmyra to Newark, it was a short 45 minutes. I got there around 5:30. The lock master, Floyd, was still there. He told me the best place to set up a tent. He left around 6:00 but would be back at 8:00 the next morning. I was waiting to connect with Doug, another cyclist I’d met, who was staying at a nearby hotel. While I was setting up my tent Tom and Jack appeared. They are from Albany and cycling the canal east to west. Doug, Tom, Jack, and I all went out to a long dinner at the bar and grill in town. We had a rambling conversation covering a lot of ground. The bar was rocking. I had to yell to be heard. Newark, not a sleepy little town. We rolled back to camp around 9:30 where I realized I’d forgotten my refilled water bottles. No harm, it was only 4 minutes back to the restaurant, but it was a harbinger for tomorrow.
TJ. so glad that you have so much company along the way .. that is great .. and as always .. great photos .... happy trails .. charles
ReplyDelete