Omaha to NYC Day 18
Animated map: https://www.relive.com/view/vYvEd5WkzGq
The day started leisurely. A bug free morning made for a slow oatmeal and instant coffee breakfast. I used PlantNet to ID two flowers at the campsite. Both invasive. Despite being in a national park, I was not in a pristine environment. After a look at the empty beach, I heading out quickly passing through Michigan City which is interestingly in Indiana. I noted the Amish pie stand on the way into town and wondered if Amish is a style or an origin.
After Michigan City, the route follows a sleepy road packed with expensive second homes for rich Chicagoians. Every open lot was being developed. I passed many people out for morning walks. At Michiania I crossed from Indiana into Michigan and the Eastern Time Zone, which I didn’t anticipate. I’d be an hour later arriving at camp than I’d thought. I’d have to warn my old college friend, Margaret because she was meeting me at my destination, Van Buren State Park.
Fourteen miles in I entered New Buffalo. I hope Buffalo knows it is so loved people have to commemorate it. Unlike Iowa, coffee doesn’t seem to be as big a deal. I had to settle for a stealth Starbucks despite the toniness of the town.
I was able to continue riding through wealth, but when the road turned inland, the houses became more modest. I saw a Trump flag and a Seventh Day Adventist church. I felt like I’d crossed a line.
I noticed a sign that told me I was on US Bike Route 35. I had to look it up. It runs north-south through Michigan and Indiana on a mix of trails and roads. Michigan seems interested in promoting bike touring so yay! In fact, I saw my first bike packers here along a ‘deserted’ road where I stopped to pee.
I’d been eating at odd times. I’d lunched on bars. Now after entering Saint Joseph and noting that it is a real town with industry besides tourism (Whirlpool), I also noted a soft serve ice cream. I figured if you are eating sugary things all day, go all in. I had cake batter soft serve with a chocolate dip. From Saint Joseph it wasn’t long to Van Buren State Park, but most of it was on a medium busy road with an OK shoulder. But it was US Bike Route 35, man. It should be paradise.
Still, I made it. I was even early, beating the 5:30 time I’d promised Margaret. I was able to set up camp and shower by the time she arrived. We drove into South Haven for a nice dinner and catching up. We are Facebook friends so we have an outline of our lives, but as with Asif, we hadn’t seen each other in person in 38 years. It was dark and time for bed by the time she dropped me back at camp.
ooohhhh. soft serve ice cream ... I remember that ... thanks for the picture of the "modest". Lake Front Cottage ... glad things are going well and good luck as you make your way through Michigan .. all my very best. charles
ReplyDelete