Omaha to NYC Day 8
(Perfect backroads cycling)
Animated map: https://www.relive.com/view/v26MDGooN3O
SOFAUS 3 Day 8
The bartender at the Half Nelson recommended taking the new Oculus Bridge over the Mississippi. It was a few miles to the east, which would normally have been perfect, but today I was headed south. Still, I had time. After morning coffee at the Brewed Book, I headed to the river. Another happy accident was running into an antique tractor show. I was in a nice revived historic district too. I chatted a bit then biked the two blocks to the river. I meandered along the path enjoying being near the river. Soon I was at the Oculus.
Crossing it, another cyclist pedalled up and asked where I was going. We were talking so much that I failed to notice the Welcome to Illinois sign. Nevertheless, I got the word on the best way out of town. The best way wasn’t good. I rode a lot of four lane stroad. Luckily, at the town of Coal Valley the world changed and I was out in the country. I resolved to stay off busy roads.
I passed the John Deere Demo Site. John Deere is headquartered in Moline. It was quiet except for big farm equipment parked in neat rows. The roads were totally empty. It was so refreshing. The skies were gray, but it wasn’t raining. Perfect cycling.
I saw and stopped at two honor system stores. At one I bought anti-itch balm which I now need due to mosquitos. At the other I bought a loaf of swedish rye and honey for my Warm showers host. I met the owner of the second. She’s done RAGBRAI five times and done a bunch of bicycle touring. Her husband is a retired engineer whose retirement is farming. They snowbird in Arizona.
A headwind was developing, but I didn’t mind. I just took it slow. It was a day of cycling through cornfields and soybeans. Not eventful, but not boring. Just peaceful. I passed a little spot where two trees whose branches met over the road. It looked like the top of your fingers when you make a heart. It was like the world was wishing me well.
As I approached Galesburg, the skies started dropping scattered rain, but I didn’t need raingear. Once in Galesburg the lonely road revery ended as I biked busy Seminary Street. I met my Warm showers host, Hana, at Cornucopia, Galesburg’s natural foods store. She had to work at bit so she told me how to get in the house.
Galesburg once had a lot of money. There are a ton of huge Victorian houses. Hana’s was just medium, but very big by Seattle standards. Hana grew up in Galesburg but moved to the Bay Area. She moved back to Galesburg because you can afford housing.
At 5:00, my old friend Aaron McEvoy stopped by. He drove two hours from Springfield to meet me. I am so grateful. We had dinner at the Landmark Cafe which dates to my time at Knox. The spinach bisque is still served. We had a great time catching up after 38 years. He needed to get back to Springfield and we said our goodbyes. I hope he comes to Seattle some time.
Back at Hana’s, I met her daughter Haylee who is a firecracker. She has no trouble talking with strange houseguests. She invited me to hula hoop with her on the back porch. We all had peach cobbler then it was Hayley's bedtime. I demurred on storytime. Soon I was in bed too. Tomorrow was going to be a rest day. I looked forward to being aimless.
Comments
Post a Comment