Omaha to NYC Day 5
Animated map: https://www.relive.com/view/v7O9zyoLDQ6
Today had a bit of everything riding-wise and off-the-bike-wise. It all began with a very humid morning at camp. Everything was just kind of damp. It's like my clothes sucked moisture out of the air. Not really damp, just kind of damp.
After a quick breakfast of instant oatmeal I was on my way. I was quickly back on the road which quickly became the High Trestle Trail heading east. The towns are spaced about six miles apart. I local cyclist said this spacing makes them perfect for party rides. Just pick your town. I stopped in Slater, which had a surprisingly fancy coffee shop. It was two towns in and the perfect place to dry my stuff. I spread it on a clean space outside the coffee shop. As I sipped in the fancy chair the breeze dried my tent and clothes except for my underwear. I'm too modest for that.
Back on the bike I floated down the smooth trail through Huxley, Cambridge, Maxwell, then Collins where it was time to leave the comfy trail. It was back to the gravel roads. After the trail they felt a little wild. I lost the shady trees. The rare vehicle kicked up dust. I had to navigate. I had to scan the road for lines of less loose gravel which can cause your wheel to slip. I was headed southeast on roads that run east-west and north-south so I zigzagged all the way to Baxter.
I took a breather with a root beer and chatted with the bartender who just sent her first kid to college. She’s proud her daughter went in with a stack of college credits. College is getting expensive so lingering is a financial burden. Baxter is the end of another bike trail, but not one that collects to anything I did.
From Baxter it was a long, townless grind into Grinnell. No more happy root beers. The shoulder situation wasn't great, but I got a rare stretch with a good one. The last seven miles was a bike trail so I looked forward to quality smoothness. It was hills all the way. Even the bike trail. The nerve. I was really looking forward to a plush Victorian bed and breakfast!
Finally after 75 miles I was at the front door. It was late so I let myself in with instructions. I really wanted to see the town, but I really, really wanted a shower. It was now after 6:00. I gathered some clothes to wash at the laundromat and headed out. Laundry first, then food. My bestie Erika graduated from Grinnell College and I had to send her pictures!
It was Suds of Love Night at Maytag laundry. Once a month the good folk of Grinnell United Church of Christ do anyone’s laundry for free. Even me! I hung out with Rev. Joyce and her crew while my sweaty clothes got clean. After transferring to the dryer I took off to dinner. The Sudsers were leaving as I left.
Pizza was great. It was there when Erika was so I sent a picture. I also snapped one of the dusky downtown and I headed back to the laundromat. Once there I got my big surprise. No clothes. Not in any dryer and not with the desk. I literally had the clothes on my back plus a few odds and ends. What was I going to do? I had a long day and planned to leave Grinnell early.
Hi TJ ... just back from Cape Cod and catching up ... my brother did his first two years at Grinnell, and my former boss, Wallace Loh, an emigrant from China growing up in South America, (Peru, Chile?) went to the US embassy and the only college catalogue was from Grinnell. So he came there and has been very successful here and was a great boss. Glad the UCC is helping you out. Take good care and looking forward to the next report. all my very best. charles
ReplyDelete