Omaha to NYC Day 4: Beautiful, Blue Bridge




I woke to gray skies after a somewhat sticky, but restful night. I don't know how much of the stick was me and how much was the humidity. The campground didn't have a shower so I was (am) a bit grungy. 

I could take the morning slow because today is a piece of cake, 40 miles of flat railtrail with temps in the low 80s. I leisurely broke camp without eating breakfast. The campground, while feeling out in nature, is just minutes from Panora’s main street. 

(Folks in Crafty's)

I biked up to Crafty’s Coffee and Gifts for coffee and a breakfast of pastries. They didn't disappoint. I read an article in the Des Moines Register about the decline in religion in rural Iowa. It's tied to declining populations in small towns, but exceeds even that drop. The towns I have seen seem to be doing better than many towns farther west. You don't see abandoned houses for example. 

The coffee shop was busy with a big table of people coming and going and sharing news. I wondered if this is a regular coffee crew.

Wow! This is getting long and I haven't even left Panora! Lucky for you it's a short day. About 10:30 I finally got on my bike. A short ride through town got me on the trail I'd be on all day. I'd been getting closer to Des Moines. The Raccoon River Valley Trail is part of a regional bike system. It gets big group rides. This morning I only saw scattered cyclists. I stopped often to ID flowers along the trail. It was nice not being in a hurry. 

(Field thistle)

I turned right outside of Jamaica heading east after heading north. Now I was headed straight to the High Trestle Bridge. I saw photos of it while planning the trip and knew I had to see it. 

(Smooth sailing)

I glided down the smooth trail enjoying the flatness. Outside of Dawson I met a retired couple from Missouri on e-bikes. They travel around the country riding bike trails. Next year they are going to Idaho to ride the Hiawatha. A local guy pulled in and gave us the scoop on where to eat in Perry. You could choose the bar and grill or the Mexican place. I opted for the former because I wanted to try the tenderloin sandwich which seems to be a Midwest thing (or I have just missed a trend). Luckily, the one I ordered wasn't as huge as last night's in Panora. The local cyclist we met said tenderloin in Jamaica was the best, but the owners were on vacation. I thought how quaint everyone knows the local news, but then I recalled I know the goings on in my neighborhood.

(Art in Perry)

Perry is a bigger town than the others in the area, but not big enough for a Walmart. They have a nice Main Street that bulked out into a business district. After lunch with a smaller tenderloin sandwich I had some time so I went over to the Carnegie Library Museum. It was more of library than museum, but looked the part. The odd thing was that it was totally empty. There were even any staff. They were probably at the more modern facility next door. 

(Remember these?)

From Perry it was a 17 miles to camp. The weather that I was told was fantastic for this time of year began to get steamy. It was only 85° but really humid. Sweat dripped down my cheeks. Salvation was found in Woodward where an ice cream shop stood right by the trail, part on of a growing number of businesses popping up to serve trail users. What happens in the winter? I had a milkshake with Bischoff cookies! Yum. The AC was even better.

(Every town has an elevator )

Refreshed, I cruised to the High Trestle Bridge. I was not disappointed. It's a half mile long and built just for walkers and cyclists. I filmed my ride through. It just seemed to call for video. After admiring the view of the Des Moines River it was a short ride to Swede Point Park. 

(The High Trestle Bridge)

After setting up camp and relaxing I left to return to the bridge for the light show. The center section is lit at night. Even on a week night three or four parties were there when I arrived. We all chatted and watched the sunset. The bridge was beautiful then, but came alive after dark. My photos don’t do it justice. The blue is the most intense blue I have seen. Even the professional photos I have seen don’t capture it. I am grateful there are still some things you have to see for yourself. 

(Going to the Bridge)

After dark, Tom, who lives in Wordward and worked for IDOT, rode up. He gave me the inside scoop. The lights cost $100 a linear foot and the sodium lights to illuminate the path cost $400 a piece. People were stealing them until they figured out how to secure them. There is something peaceful about talking to people in the dark in a pretty place. Tom visits the bridge every night.

(Getting there)

When Tom left I was the only one there. I’d say it was to be one with the night and the bridge, but it was really trying in vain to get a good photo. When I gave up I did become one with the bridge. I listened to the night, ate my left over Danish pastries then rode back to camp.

(There)

(The closest in got to the color)


Comments

  1. Not a comment but a question. Is it an old wood trestle or something more newer, like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally new. I thought it was a rebuilt train trestle, but Tom set me straight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the Journey

D End

Post Treatment Tour D1 Home to Bay View State Park