D21 Pocatello

(At the Pocatello Farmer's Market)

Mileage: Probably about 10 around town

Tomorrow's Destination: Lava Hot Springs

Pocatello occupies a weird place in my heart. When I was 7 I considered it exile in Siberia. I was angry about my parents divorce and took it out on the city. By the time I was 14 (when my dad passed), I was used to it and more importantly, I was just starting to connect with my dad more deeply.

(Where I spent my summers)

The neighborhood he lived in was different than the old homes in Kirkland. It was, and is, subdivisions of modest split level ranch houses. The house my dad owned looks a little run down now which made me sad. The yard which I was tasked helping was a little overgrown. Still, I saw the house of the ill-fated Kiss lip sync where the sawhorse propping up the drum riser collapsed in the middle of Detroit Rock City. And there was the house where the retaining wall fell down and here’s where we played kick the can at dusk. I wonder what Kisho will think about Greenwood if he moves away and returns decades later.

(Pretty sure Pocatello didn't have a mosque when I was a kid)

The Pocatello of today is different than my 70’s Pocatello. It seems very divided politically. I saw lots of pride flags and flyers for Juneteenth, but I also walked by the Second Amendment Supply Store. Folks with various accents and skin tones mingled at the farmer’s market with a guy talking on his phone about how the Speaker of the House doesn’t need to be a representative so Republicans could make Trump the Speaker. Despite this diversity, it is strange that all the guys, no matter what their ethnicity, look like Idahoans - trucker caps, beards, and sunglasses. 

(I almost couldn't bring myself to snap this picture, but shows, maybe, why I'm not viewed as a weirdo on the bike)

After lunch I went to the Mountain View Cemetery to visit my dad’s graveside. I discovered the office is closed Saturday. It’s a huge place. I had no idea how I was going to find the grave. I felt so dumb. I started walking the rows. I had a vague idea where it was because Hisako and I visited in 1998, but that’s 24 years ago! Luckily, I talked with two women who clued me into a kiosk where you can look up the sites. My dad was only about 100 feet from the kiosk! I offered my flowers wishing I had more. I brushed off the grass and poured water over the top as I’ve seen in-laws in Japan do. I wrote him a note to say I loved him then hung out for about an hour. It was hard to say goodbye. I miss him. Know that you toowill have people who will miss you forever. 

(No picture here. I'm just sharing with family)

The rest of the day was fun, but overshadowed by my visit with my dad. I went to an Ace Hardware that also was an outdoors store and sold beer. The guy in front of me in line to pay moved here from Minnesota for snow machine fun. He was buying Hamm’s as the beer from the homeland. He wished me a happy trip in a very sincere but low key way. It implied confidence I'd make it. 

(Who wants a vacuum?)

The next stop was the Museum of Clean. This place is awesome. Go if you ever find yourself passing through southeastern Idaho. It’s a legit museum with a research library and everything. If you like vacuums you’ll be in heaven. Then it was an early dinner and back to the Airbnb at the edge of town for a family chat. Tomorrow I am getting a late start so I can watch my niece’s graduation. I’ll be heading to Lava Hot Springs for a nice soak and camping in a private campground that ISN’T an RV park.

P.S. I finally met one of the other Airbnb'ers. Josh works for Union Pacific. He lives in Vancouver, WA. He works 8 days in the field between Washington and Illinois and then 6 days off. He knows about Seattle's mile long garbage train that operates 6 days a week. It's a big money maker for UP.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Country Bike Ride Reboot

Seattle to Lead

D13 Omaha to Iowa