D8 Condon to Priest Hole

Mileage: 53

Video https://www.relive.cc/view/vRO7gPkm1yO

Map https://ridewithgps.com/trips/91076004?privacy_code=gcv2qPYuFdxRMEol

Down in Priest Hole. Was a difference a day makes. Yesterday, I was kinda pooped. I was more than happy to keep to myself and not introduce myself to the drunk 20 somethings in the Buckhorn Saloon or the women playing cribbage at the next table. I was sore worried about the next day.

Side note on Condon. It's still an ag town, so I wonder where the hotel fits in.There's an offshootf Powell's! I hope it thrives.

(Main Street)

(The Condon Hotel)

(Powell's Condon Branch)

One theme of this trip is not to get to attached to plans. I was going to ride to Mitchell today and spend tomorrow visiting the John Day National Monument on a rest day,  but I realized I could camp along the way at Priest Hole, visit the Monument along the way for not technically a rest day, but a slow day. I only have to bike 18 miles tomorrow!

(Fossil Mercantile where I sat on bench and evesdropped on ranchers talking shop)

What a great choice! The road to Priest Hole is full of wonders. I look lots of pictures, but they can’t really do it justice. Instead of trying to describe the scenery, I’ll fill in little moments:

(Rowe Creek Road)
  • Talking with Jane about her family’s purchase of the Condon Hotel in 2018 right in time for COVID

  • Ranchers talking shop on a bench outside of the Fossil Mercantle. (Good grass and fat calves)

  • Seeing fellow cyclists on the gravel road to Priest Hole. 

  • Being invited over for a glass of wine by my camping neighbor, Ted

  • A friendly wave the second time I saw a beat up pickup the I thought for sure was driven by a bike-hating redneck

I can’t post this tonight because there’s no cell service here. It’s fun to write though.

(Ted doesn't do selfies. I respect that. This is Ted's wine)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Country Bike Ride Reboot

Seattle to Lead

D13 Omaha to Iowa