D7 Deschutes to Condon


Mileage 55 but with 5700' of climbing.

Video: https://www.relive.cc/view/vE6J9yDpngO

Map: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/90885769

I left the Columbia and I am now in Condon (which autocorrect always helpfully changes to Condom). I changed my route from the gravel of the Oregon Outback to wheat. So much wheat. There is a lot of wheat between the Deschutes and Condon. There's also the deep Cottonwood Canyon. I decided to stay in a hotel. I love old hotels and Condon has a great one.

The day began with a canyon warm up climbing out of the Columbia Gorge along Fulton Canyon. At the top I saw my first wheat field. I would see a lot of wheat this day.

My next stop was Wasco which had a small grocery that made a great egg salad. I sat on the bench outside the post office and watched folks doing their errands. I had a couple nice back and forths with a couple. There were a lot of people heading into the store. I think Saturday is when people come to town to shop.


From there it was wheat until Cottonwood Canyon. Along the way I met Mark from Washington State Patrol who's involved a big project to modernize public safety radios. He talked with Seattle employees I know just yesterday. Small world.

Cottonwood Canyon is deep. I'm glad I didn't know how deep or I would have spent the whole approach worrying about it. The John Day River runs through it. I now desperately want to float it. The canyon bottom was filled with boy scouts and rafters.

What goes down much come up and I faced a 2800' over 8.8 miles. The grade wasn't bad just endless. The endless grind and endless wheat slowly sapped my strength until I was limping into the town. I was so happy to have this luxury. Tomorrow I'm off to Mitchell or I may stop early and camp at Priest Hole on the John Day. I'll do even more climbing!


Comments

  1. What soft lives you transcontinental bicyclists lead!

    Not sure what you're having for breakfast. But a bowl of Wheaties sounds apropos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Country Bike Ride Reboot

Seattle to Lead

D13 Omaha to Iowa