D5 Portland to Hood River




Portland to Hood River 76 miles

The video: https://www.relive.cc/view/vJOKpNBVk56

The map: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/90661058?privacy_code=eSMK2zAuFA5FtLgM

Hood River! 

Before I start, just a note that I may not have cell reception starting tomorrow for the next couple of days. I’ll be camping tomorrow at the mouth of the Deschutes, then camping in the little town of Shaniko, then camping again on the John Day River. Don’t worry if you don’t hear from me.

This was the nicest day of riding yet. Riding (or driving) the old highway through the Columbia Gorge is amazing. Yes, you can get off I-84!


I left friends Johanna and Monica at 8am in North Portland. Out by the airport I rode by a long line of RVs and broken up cars. Then the magical moment marked by this red porta–potty where I turned east.


The ride out of PDX featured distribution centers to the right and the Columbia River to my left. At the Sandy River I was able to turn onto the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area for miles and miles of scenic-ness. 


Along the way I met Mike and KIm a couple from PA. I bumped into them several times. They took some pictures of me riding on the road. I gave them my email and they sent me pics of me riding!



Oregon DOT is working hard to complete the bike trail all the way to Hood River. I only had to ride 6 miles on the freeway and 2 of those were actually adventure gravel riding through the construction area. The workers were super nice to me. 


My Warmshowers host, Michael, is from Marin County and knows a lot of the places my family does including the exact property we AirBnb’ed in 2018. 

Goodnight!



Comments

  1. The TJ Memorial PP (or WC)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome so far TJ! Fair winds and following trail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi TJ! Just had a chance to check your blog. So happy to see our pic with you. Had fun talking with you. Best wishes on your journey. We are currently in Big Timber, MT. Mike and Kim fro PA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Country Bike Ride Reboot

Seattle to Lead

D13 Omaha to Iowa