D2 Olympia to Vader

I'm in Vader!

Day two is in the books. I am grabing dinner at the diner near the Hipcamp place I am staying at. The camp is run by Craig who is a great host and eager to loan me tools and amenities. Sadly, I had everything he offered, even the chair! I did let him loan me a powerbank for charging. Why run down mine when I can use someone else’s.

The morning started with a pancake breakfast on Nikki and JT’s porch. We caught up and talked about sailing which they love. I intended to leave at 8.30 but lingered until 9:30. My double kickstand was sticking and wouldn’t retract. JT got it working again.

(Nikki hanging with me and the bike)

The ride began with 27 miles of bike trail. Mellow after yesterday. I was a little demoralized because I am going slower than expected. It was almost 1pm when I got to Tenino. I worried about making Vader ‘in time’. But what does ‘in time’ mean in this context. I might need to adjust my mileage so I can dawdle more.

(Nice cyclists I met on the trail. The guy on the right has crossed the US twice!)

After Tenino you follow low traffic roads to Centralia then hook up with the Seattle-to-Portland route (I think). When you just drive I-5 you don’t realize how pretty this area is. There were whole fields of flowering camas.

(Camas)

I rode the ‘stroad’ in Chehalis, but kudos to the planners for thinking about bikes. The final push to Vader was pretty. I made it to Vader at 5:40. I was ‘in time’. I am making 9 - 10 miles per hour with small stops included. Tomorrow is a 75 mile day with one BIG hill so I’ll try to leave by 7:30 am.


Video: https://www.relive.cc/view/v7O9Beer7L6

Map: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/90342190?privacy_code=wI1Cq0UEu8KwKXyJ

Comments

  1. TJ these are beautiful photos! I am sooooooooooo jealous of your adventure :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Country Bike Ride Reboot

Seattle to Lead

D13 Omaha to Iowa