D17 Where the Pavement Ends to Glenn's Ferry

(Kent and I wrapping the day with a flight of wine)

Mileage 62.5 (the GPS got weird at the end. I didn't include that. Watch the video and you'll know what I mean)

Video: https://www.relive.cc/view/vrqokAzkxyq

Map: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/91829482

Tomorrow’s Destination: Twin Falls

The world works in mysterious ways. I am sitting in camp at 9:15 typing after a long conversation with Mark Greening from Seattle who lives less than a mile from my house and knows folks I know. I was feeling down after Kent Scott, one of my best friends pulled out of campsite 11 at Three Island State Park in Glenn’s Ferry. It’s hard to say goodbye when you know that you probably won’t see a known face for weeks. And then the universe provides.

(The start of the ride)

Another reason I was out of sorts was that I crashed my bike on a sandy / muddy road leading out of Boise. I was OK and my bike was OK. I ate some Sour Patch Kids as a reward for surviving with only minor scrapes. About 20 minutes later I thought I had a kid stuck between my teeth only to discover later when I flossed that I’d broken a crown. I am guessing it jarred loose in the crash even though I didn’t hit my mouth. Maybe a chewy Sour Patch Kid sucked it out. It doesn’t hurt and my dentist thinks maybe I can limp along orally until I return. 

(This rock was tagged ... er ... Signed by folks on the Oregon Trail)

Ride-wise, it was nice to get back on the road, especially with Kent driving support. He checked in with me about every hour. He carried all my panniers resulting in my fastest average time of the trip! 

(This was just tagged)

I started from Saturday’s stopping point about 20 miles east of Boise along Black’s Creek Road literally where the pavement ended at the Ada / Elmore county line. There literally no way to go east from Boise without taking a gravel road or the Interstate. The road was wet sand with patches of mud. I was really glad I sat out the rain, wind, and cold. I had one crash today. I don’t want to think what yesterday would have been like. 

(Where the pavement begins)

After an adventurous 15 - 17 miles or so, the pavement returned. I travelled long straight, flat roads at high speed (for me) to make up for the slog through the sand and mud. I passed through more sagebrush and rangeland, but this time a wind farm was tossed in. I met Kent for lunch in Mountain Home which is not in the mountains, sent my dentist a picture of my sorry tooth and continued on through sagebrush and rangeland. 

(I saw maybe 10 cars all day)

Kent met me at Glenn’s Ferry at 3:30. We rounded out the day with a phone call to my dentists office and a trip to the winery next to Three Island State Park. Now it is approaching 10 pm and I need to wrap up. Goodnight!

Comments

  1. It was very nice to meet you. I am so sorry I ran off before the selfie. Looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics TJ!! This journey is epic. I very much look forward to checking in every day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Country Bike Ride Reboot

Seattle to Lead

D13 Omaha to Iowa