D13 and D14 Vale to Boise to Where the Pavement Ends

(Biking the Literal Oregon Trail)

Mileage: 81 / 22

Videos: D13 https://www.relive.cc/view/vdORMZezErv D14 - https://www.relive.cc/view/vAOZDZy84yq

Maps: D13 https://ridewithgps.com/trips/91425400?privacy_code=BXfOJQtitjlEQILM D14 https://ridewithgps.com/trips/91522767?privacy_code=uN3EzmzS99ZV3B9Z

Tomorrow’s Destination: Kent and Cathe’s couch.

This a two-fer blog covering May 27 and 28. I made it to Boise with a planned rest day to follow, but the forecast has thrown a wrench into my plans with Sunday having 100% of rain. The only route for me to take involves miles of gravel roads that will be muddy and slick. My bike can do dry gravel, but doesn’t handle mud so well. I’ll stay here Sunday and leave Monday. Today, I made the most of the situation and rode 22 miles before Kent and Cathe drove me back to their place. I chose a new route that will make up a day. My new stops are Glenn’s Ferry, Twin Falls, Lake Wolcott State Park, and then Pocatello.

(Ag was the theme of the day)

As for the ride into Boise, I was expecting another grind like the one I’d just done from Unity to Vale, but it was an endless series of delightful, easy miles. The day started with meeting Bob, Joe, Steve, and Boyd at Bixby’s Cafe in Vale. They were interested in my trip and I heard about their problems with the drought. They were happy to snap a picture with me. I learned I missed two cross country cyclists by a day.

(Boyd, Bob, me, Steve, and Joe)

I watched the range land outside Vale turn into sugar beet and onion fields as I approached the Snake River. After 20 miles I hit Nyssa on the Oregon / Idaho border. I stopped at the Thunderegg Cafe for a latte and coffee cake. Nyssa is doing well compared to most of the small towns I’ve been travelling through. 

(The Snake River)

From Nyssa I travelled along the Apple Valley Road where I saw no apples. Soon I was passing thorugh Parma. The 5G connection clued me in that I was approaching more densely populated areas. From there I rode the straight as an arrow Market Road which had cool rolling hills that added interest to the ride. Around mile 40 I met I-84 last seen at Hood River. 

(Rollers)

I was looking for a lunch spot and found an abandoned house(?) that offered the only shade in the area. I ate peanut butter and tortillas with snap peas. Interestingly, an arty house was being built next door. 

(Lunch)

The area started showing more and more signs of the Big City among the agriculture. The farms here were smaller with people out working the fields. Eventually, I made it to the suburbs of Eagle and the start of the Boise Greenbelt that runs for miles along the Boise River. Around one bend I suddenly saw two bikes with panniers and screeched to a halt. I met Rob and Ryan, a father and son riding coast to coast. They’d been in Vale the previous afternoon! They were the two I’d missed! We had a long chat and exchange numbers. There’s a possibility I may run into them again. 

(Me, Rob, and Ryan)

I rode with them most of the Greenbelt until I peeled off to head to Kent and Cathe’s. Cathe was waiting for me with pom-poms and a cow bell! We had a grand time and no blog post was written.

Saturday…

This was technically not a rest day, but a slow day. I put on 22 extra miles including on the roughest road I’ve ridden on and that road was the literal Oregon trail. After the rough road, I caught some pavement and rode to the pavement end which is where Kent will drop me off Monday.

(This was the easy dirt road)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Country Bike Ride Reboot

Seattle to Lead

D13 Omaha to Iowa