D3 Vader to Portland

(Once In a Lifetime helped me when I was feeling nervous about the trip so I loved this find in the Castle Rock bookstore restroom)

Vader to Portland - 77 miles

https://www.relive.cc/view/v4OGRA5WPmv

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/90449361?privacy_code=s9CbwOeMrkKtqF2E

I learned I can bike 77 miles, but there’s not a whole lot of time for off-the-bike sightseeing. I go about 9 - 10 mph with stops.

I woke up to a very dewy morning ready to bike to Johanna and Monica’s in Portland. I’ve known Johanna since I was 7. I slept well despite being told by Craig, the interesting Hipcamp host, that a fugitive had been discovered right near my camp site a couple of months ago. “A total tweeker from Aberdeen, but we got him pinned down until the sheriff came.” Craig was also suspicious of the diner I ate at. 

(Breakfast)

The morning kicked off with a 12 mile ride into Castle Rock. It has a cute downtown, a great bakery, and a bookshop! If you’re driving to Portland, get off the freeway and look around.

(Vault Book & Brew in Castle Rock)

On the road from Castle Rock to Kelso, I ran into Jimmy, a fellow cyclist. He wants to do a long haul route along the Sierras and is a Warmshowers host. Another new friend!

(Jimmy)

In Carrolls I stopped at a general store and post office for a sandwich. They had gas station burritos, my first of the trip. The clerk had a PS4 for playing video games during the slow times. We had a great chat about Fallout 4, one of my favorite video games. Later, a woman came in with her sugar babies. I thought she was talking about a craft project, but they are tiny squirrel-like marsupials she had in her purse! 

(Sugar Baby)

Next up was a big hill south of Kalama that’s necessary to avoid riding I-5. This was my first hike-a-bike. Two sections were a 15% grade! Luckily, the road was pretty and quiet.

(The Hill)

In La Center, an exploding exurb, I discovered bakery #4 where I had a much needed buttermilk bar. From La Center nice rural and forested bits start alternating with distribution centers and office parks until its full on suburbs. Crossing the Columbia was cool if a little confusing. I made it to Johanna and Monica’s at 6:30 on the nose.

(Sadie and Josie's Bakery in La Center)

I am now enjoying a rest day. I am glad I took it because 1) its rainy and 2) some wrist pain came back. I’ll stay dry, ice, and rest the wrist. I may be riding most of the way with a wrist brace. I’ll post again in Hood River.


Comments

  1. You’ve already stayed with one sister so If your Oregon route takes you through Bend I do have another sister who I’m sure would be glad to give you a warm dry place to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer. It's a little too west, but Bend is awesome for cyclists. Nikki, JT, and I had a great visit.

      Delete
  2. Is today (19th) your rest day? Or did something happen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a rest day. I was hanging out in Portland, but I am in Hood River now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cross Country Bike Ride Reboot

Seattle to Lead

D13 Omaha to Iowa